Chaos Theory Test Site

This is my linkable blog. Here lie assorted ideas, rants and ramblings that I can't seem not to write.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Victoria, Australia

This blog is a result of my wanting to share and exchange ideas with others, without cluttering up their blogs with my lengthy replies or necessarily having to exchange email details. Probably I'm nowhere near as angsty as I sound in some of my posts here. I promise I'm really pretty mellow. Honest.

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Action against Aboriginals: The wrong "something"

(originally generated as a blog comment. Edited for posting here)

I believe that Howard believes that he is acting in the best interests of the Australian Nation. I do not believe that he is oblivious to the polarising effect this issue and his governments actions will have on the populace. I do not believe that he is unaware that this loaded issue will, at the very least, dilute the attention that the public will devote to more regular election issues such as interest rates, workplace relations reforms and climate change/energy supply matters.

I am suspicious of the timing of this action. Yes, there is a new report, but it's far from the first I've heard of it, so I have to hope that the nation's leader was aware that not all was well in outlying Aboriginal communities before this.

I am also doubtful that Howard genuinely believes that the actions that are being taken are going to have the effect that he says he wants. Given my doubt on that front, I wonder whether he is not proceeding with "politician's logic" as defined in the BBC's spiffing "Yes Minister/Prime Minister" TV series as: "Something must be done. This is something, therefore we must do it." in order to be seen by the populace to be doing something dramatic and pro-active about the situation.

I find it disturbingly illogical that the action does not target alcohol abuse. It does not target child abuse. And nor does it target welfare abuse. It targets Aboriginal people regardless of whether they abuse children, welfare or alcohol.

I've never checked the "Are you of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent" box on any government form I've submitted, but if I had, would that mean that the glass of wine on the desk beside me is a crime? Would it mean that my offspring would have to have regular gynaecological examinations? Would half the household's welfare entitlement be set aside somewhere so I could not blow it? How does that work? Do I have the wrong end of the stick?

I have to wonder how many kids filling out Austudy application forms for the coming year will not declare their racial heritage for fear they not be allowed the same privileges as their non-Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander classmates at some future point. (Mmm. I can almost smell the assimilation.)

I've been making comments along the lines of "First they came for the Refugees...". I would love to feel confident that the actions being taken towards Aboriginal people are not a second iteration, but given that I am a likely target of a third iteration, I'm nervous.

I don't think that the government's motivation is pure, and I don't see how the actions that are being taken are effectively addressing the problem in the long or short term. The "shock and awe" tactics being used... they are the wrong "something".

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

I agree with your concern that the Federal response focuses on things other than the issues themselves.

Note in this news story that a state government is using existing laws and recently improved law enforcement infrastructure to combat child abuse.

We need more of this sort of practical response rather than all this suspect stuff of diluting aboriginal control of land or income support.

12:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home