Chaos Theory Test Site

This is my linkable blog. Here lie assorted ideas, rants and ramblings that I can't seem not to write.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Victoria, Australia

This blog is a result of my wanting to share and exchange ideas with others, without cluttering up their blogs with my lengthy replies or necessarily having to exchange email details. Probably I'm nowhere near as angsty as I sound in some of my posts here. I promise I'm really pretty mellow. Honest.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Fish in shallow water...

My thoughts escape me like fish in shallow water, sending up rills of disturbance and confusion as they dart and dodge to avoid my grasp.

I woke up a couple of days ago excited by a new take on time. Time is energy. Literally. A form of energy linked to but possibly not derived directly from matter. Time stopping an impossible amount of matter existing in one instance or something. Time being driven by - metred by - the densest objects in the universe. Unable to be denser, they distribute matter through a fourth dimension as successive instances rather than having too many instances trying to occupy the same space simultaneously. Some mass-driven clock rate for the universe. *sigh* It made sense at the time. I want to understand this stuff.

And people wonder why I want to study sciences.

Small, sand coloured fish against sand, visible only by their shadows to my eyes, fleeing faster the harder I pursue them.

Speaking of metering, I've been contemplating PFH's idea that overclocking in humans is hazardous. Essentially, I agree, but I also believe that we are designed to allow for fluctuations. Sustained overclocking is definitely detrimental to wellbeing. I suspect that people have trouble identifying their optimum clock rate. Perhaps associating with and competing with people who are overclocking and appear to be coping and being brilliant and fabulously productive leaves us feeling inadequate if we heed our body's cues to slow down. We know that we are not getting enough sleep. We can feel ourselves getting run down, strung out on caffienne, less reliable, less functional - yet we keep it amped up because to slow down feels like weakness.

I'd like to advocate a meme that there is strength in knowing one's optimal firing interval and keeping bursts of overclocking in reserve.

Ooh - maybe meditation is a way to restore clock rate default settings?

Hmmm. Elastic clock rates in computers? Allowing for 'sprints', even 'walks' for more effective and efficient performance? What if your computer could sense when it had an influx of work and could overclock, just for a few moments, then slow down to normal when the crisis had passed, and even slow further if anyone could think of a reason to want it to?

Some kind of programable overclocking, instead of physical. Maybe it exists, maybe it's impossible, maybe it's an entirely silly idea. I'm learning more every day. One day I will be able to answer my own questions, and have long and edifying conversations with myself.

Salt water dripping from my hair, I stand in the estuary. Hands full of sand. Not a fish to be seen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home