Chaos Theory Test Site

This is my linkable blog. Here lie assorted ideas, rants and ramblings that I can't seem not to write.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Victoria, Australia

This blog is a result of my wanting to share and exchange ideas with others, without cluttering up their blogs with my lengthy replies or necessarily having to exchange email details. Probably I'm nowhere near as angsty as I sound in some of my posts here. I promise I'm really pretty mellow. Honest.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Untruth as kindness and kindness is it's own punishment.

I've learned a bit about honesty in the last year: What is true is not always what is appropriate. Truth, as pure a concept as it is, has the potential to hurt people. When someone's beliefs differ from your own, and it would cause them distress if they hear of your belief, then it is often simpler and kinder not to be honest. Lies of omission can be a humane choice. But they are not Truth. Does that make them wrong? I think that the lie, and the guilt of the dishonest is the lesser evil if the truth would needlessly hurt someone. If the untruthful person is of such sensitive and considerate nature that they decide to withold truth to spare another person needless pain, I feel that the sense of guilt over the lie is ample punishment.

On a wader scale, any individual espousing their version of Truth as an absolute is taking a very hard line. It does not take into account that as nobody is in posession of definitive Truth, everyone has a right to their own beliefs regarding what is true. If you have to co-exist with someone who takes that kind of hard line on any subject, it is prudent to avoid conflict. And if avoiding conflict means being outwardly vague about your own beliefs, it's a compromise that people have to come to terms with case by case, whilst trying not to lose track of what they really do believe, and why.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home