Chaos Theory Test Site

This is my linkable blog. Here lie assorted ideas, rants and ramblings that I can't seem not to write.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Victoria, Australia

This blog is a result of my wanting to share and exchange ideas with others, without cluttering up their blogs with my lengthy replies or necessarily having to exchange email details. Probably I'm nowhere near as angsty as I sound in some of my posts here. I promise I'm really pretty mellow. Honest.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Clever, that.

Who votes Liberal in Oz? People with mortgages on thir homes, perhaps?

Hello First Home Buyer's Grant!

Clever, that.

I believe that since the introduction of the First Home Buyer's Grant, the home mortgage paying demographic has gotten younger, and the Liberal voting demographic with it. Yes, the Labor state governments have also made grants to first home buyers, which only fed the home buying frenzy, but not to do so would leave the glory to the Libs.

Now labour laws have been weakened. Hey, aren't people with mortgages more likley to swallow their pride and forgo workplace rights to keep their jobs?

I do hope that there is a fulsome backlash in the offing. It's not that I hope for bad ecenomic times, just that I hope that when it comes, that there is still room for correction in any direction other than right wing extremism.

I believe that political direction is a bit like sailing, and we have been tacking right for so long now that we are nowhere near the channel any more. Left needs a turn at the helm to re-establish ideas of compassion and equality. Weird public infrastructure things like hospitals, schools and public transport are suffering frighteningly under the current government.

I hope that the voting public can see that they have the power to steer the country between the conflicting ideas of the left and the right, and allow enough underkeel clearance for us all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home